Sunday, May 3, 2015

Final Project: My 4 Hours With World Painter

For this assignment, I had to use the World Painter software we downloaded to construct a replica of geographical Boston, circa 1700s. I must admit this software was difficult to use, and I am still not comfortable using it, I more or less had to revert back to a trial and error style of building which consumed a lot of time, but at the end I think it looked pretty close to the map of old Boston I was referencing while building. Here are some process screenshots:
 I began with a blank, generated World Painter map which can been seen above. These maps come full of random hills and things of that nature, so the first thing I did was smooth out the whole terrain, which can be seen below.
 Next, I began raising the outskirt of the Boston landmass so that I could fill the outside part of it with water, which is a key factor in this project looking realistic.


 Here I finally have the Boston shaped land mass and have filled the outside with water. Next I would have to add the roads that go through Boston as precisely as I could, so that later building areas could be located in the correct place.


 Here I've completed some main roads that ran through Boston at the time. I did so by referencing the maps we used in our class Google Doc. The large open area in the top left side of the map will eventually become a virtual representation of Boston Common.

Lastly I added more of the smaller roads to help identify where I was while walking around (usually flying for an arial perspective) in minecraft. This helped me locate the building ground for my replica of the old south meeting house which I will detail in my next post.


No comments:

Post a Comment